Monday, September 1, 2008

circles

a friend called me on my first blog topic and reminded me that endings didn't necessarily have to occur as a natural part of everything. life is ever renewing and, as in nature, there can be "perennials" (lasting, perpetual, enduring, everlasting). the reason i love to sea kayak is because i am not dependent on someone else to "pick me up". i can return to my van and simply make a circle. of course this thought set me off on another tangent musically and, as often does, a favorite song came to mind.

harry forster chapin grew up in new york and was famous for his hits: cat's in the cradle and W.O.L.D., but more importantly for me, All My Life's a Circle, sung in 1972. that was the year i matriculated from undergraduate school and went to work at the VA psych. hospital. it came to mind that everything turns over and comes back around again, in one way or another - karmic or otherwise. guess we should just get it right this time and find another Way. so here's to harry!

All My Life's a Circle
(Starts with 2 stanza chorus):

All my life's a circle;
Sunrise and sundown;
Moon rolls thru the nighttime;
Till the daybreak comes around.

All my life's a circle;
But I can't tell you why;
Season's spinning round again;
The years keep rollin' by.

It seems like I've been here before;
I can't remember when;
But I have this funny feeling;
That we'll all be together again.

No straight lines make up my life;
And all my roads have bends;
There's no clear-cut beginnings;
And so far no dead-ends.

Chorus:

I found you a thousand times;
I guess you done the same;
But then we lose each other;
It's like a children's game;

As I find you here again;
A thought runs through my mind;
Our love is like a circle;
Let's go 'round one more time.

Chorus:

harry forster chapin (12/7/42-7/16/81) was interred in the huntington rural cemetery, Huntington, New York. his epitaph is taken from his song "I Wonder What Would Happen to this World." it is:
Oh if a man tried
To take his time on Earth
And prove before he died
What one man's life could be worth
I wonder what would happen
to this world.


try to take your time on this Earth to prove what you are worth.....


No comments: