Wednesday, October 22, 2008

tagged

my lovely daughter, Calliope, in her blogsite "http://www.dobrya.blogspot.com/" initiated a "tag" to me to post seven (7) either wierd or random facts about myself that i could share with readers. also i was to enlist seven others to do the same............ another pyramid of information to bring us all closer together. well, first of all, i don't have seven friends that blog (or even know what a blog is) because i am a dinosaur and relatively antiquated for computer usage. i'm lucky that my son contributes to "http://lonelynote.blogspot.com/" music review blogsite and my daughter has started a site called "goings-on". if any of you want to be my friend and include seven random things on your blogsite i'd be closer to proving to my daughter that i'm caring, trustworthy and cooperative, even if she knows better. so here goes.....


1. when I was little i threw cold water on my brother, who was in the bathtub, and he hit me above the eye with a metal toy submarine – the scar is still there.... and you thought only a red ryder bb gun could poke your eye out......


2. i watched peter pan, starring mary martin, for the first time when I was young and that night in my sleep, thinking i was flying, jumped from the bunk bed hitting the desk. (another scar)

3. i’m very good at wiggling my ears without moving my mouth. I’m not very good at keeping my mouth closed at other times……


4. when i was 17, i climbed hochstuhl, the highest peak in the southern alps karawanken mountain range and got stopped at rifle point by a yugoslavian border guard. only because i was an american did i keep from going to jail; and because my climbing partner was cute and persuasive.


5. i’ve kayaked on all the big water in the united states: the atlantic, pacific, gulf, alaska, all the great lakes; and the mississippi, missouri, and illinois rivers. the only time i’ve ever fallen over into the water was in red rock lake, here in iowa.



6. i got knocked out cold, in college football, playing against john matusak, who later was an all-pro defensive end for the los angeles raiders – and who played “sloth” in the movie “the goonies”. Can you do the truffle shuffle? he died of suspected complications of anabolic steroid use so guess i didn't do so badly in the exchange. the "tooz" was 6'8" tall and weighed 280#. at the time he was about the biggest man in pro football. all i remember is that his forearm was as big as my thigh.

7. i sang sergeant pepper’s lonely hearts club band at 3am one morning, in harmony with a young german cabin attendant from hamburg, on the hawser deck of the ss ryndam ocean liner, while crossing the atlantic in 1967. i stayed up all night listening to rock & roll on the pirate stations in the english channel and made it back to my cabin before everyone woke up at 6am. i slept in and missed my language lessons. now i'm sorry not to know more german.



so that is my contribution to world information. i hope that it hasn't changed anyone's opinion of me in a negative direction, but that is the risk you take when you expose yourself on the internet. we are told to be careful of what we put into print. perhaps that is why i prefer being a storyteller instead of a writer. you can always say, later, that it wasn't what you said........ ask the senator from north carolina........ no, i'm not going to play "gotcha".......... well, it is an election year.......... oh, i am the self appointed head of the midwest "kayakers for obama" organization and if anyone wants to join i will declare you a member of the group........ we don't approve of shooting animals from airplanes if you are concerned......



remember, just when you least suspect it, you're on someone's candid camera. see you next time on youtube!

2 comments:

rocksandfeathers said...

Sorry to hear about all the scars. I've got one on my chin from 'flying' also.... thanks for organizing the 'Kayakers for Obama' buttons. ~DML

dobrya said...

that was fun, pop. :) even mentioned some stories i haven't heard yet! (or at least in a while) thanks for playing along with me.